Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Legend of the Sand Dollar

Last July I visited Kiawah Island beach for the release of some sea turtles that had been hospitalized. It was a neat thing to see that man's intervention with nature can sometimes have amazing results.
I have been to Kiawah dozens of times throughout the years, but on this particular day, I fetched over 20 sand dollars in the surf! It was wild! This has not been my common experience. When I laid them out to let them bleach & dry in the sun, one of them had broken & 3 of the 5 'doves' were apparent.~~~
 It reminded me of this poem "The Legend of the Sand Dollar". It also struck me that for those who believe, He is everywhere & His glory is revealed in all creation! For those who see the glory of His creation yet still do not trust Him with your salvation, I pray that you will do so before it is too late! None of us has the promise of another day on earth. Worship the Creator, not His Creation!! Anything less or more than Jesus crucified & resurrected is deficient! This is the time! Call on His Name & He is present to those who seek Him. ***This I know!

The Legend of the Sand Dollar
There’s a lovely little legend
That I would like to tell,
Of the birth and death of Jesus
Found in this lowly shell.

If you examine closely
You’ll see that you find here,
Four nail holes and a fifth one
Made by a Roman’s spear.

On one side the Easter Lily,
Its center is the star,
That appeared unto the shepherds
And led them from afar.

The Christmas Poinsettia
Etched on the other side,
Reminds us of His birthday
Our happy Christmastide.

Now break the center open
And here you will release,
The five white doves awaiting
To spread Good Will and Peace.

This simple little symbol
Christ left for you and me,
To help us spread His Gospel
Through all Eternity